Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
I've compiled a list of Frequently Asked Questions for your convenience. If you have any unanswered questions, please contact me.
- Q: Do you deliver every image you shoot?
- A: No. I eliminate all test shots, duplicate images, missed focused shots and photos with bad expressions that may dilute the final product. As I shoot with wide aperture lenses and low shutter speeds for overall increased image quality, I may take more photos in order to ensure I get at least one stellar shot. Photographing moments such as candid laughs and tears can yield some amazing photographs. However, it also can yield some rather unattractive facial expressions. I often take several photos in order ensure one photo has the perfect facial expression.
- Q: Have you shot at my venue before?
- A: A list of venues I have shot at can be found in: Brisbane Wedding Venues. Keep in mind that any good photographer will be able to approach any situation and know how to shoot it to yield the best possible photographs.
- Q: My venue is very dark, how are you going to handle these situations?
- A: For receptions, I will usually light using on and off camera flashes on light stands. Depending on the colour, material and height of the walls and ceilings, depends on whether or not the flashes will be aimed into umbrellas or the wall/ceiling. Additionally, I may have an assistant lighting for me with a flash on a stick. Many ceremony venues do not allow for flash photography. This is remedied by the utilisation of the best cameras and lenses that allow for usable results in low light situations.
- Q: Do you provide partial day coverage?
- A: Yes.
- Q: Do you shoot Bah Mitzvahs or Corporate Events?
- A: Yes.
- Q: When can we expect to see our photos from our engagement session, wedding or event?
- A: Normally, I deliver photos within two weeks of the event/wedding/shoot. If you require your photos be delivered prior to two weeks after the date of the shoot, a rush-process fee will be charged.
Q: What if we exceed our contracted time for our engagement shoot and/or wedding day coverage?
A: I definitely understand that weddings don't always go to plan. I never pack up before the contracted time. Instead, I will ask you at the end of the contracted time whether or not you'd like to extend. If so, rates will be charged as specified in your contract rounded to the nearest 30 minute increment.
Q: What are the fees associated with traveling to our venues/shooting locations?
A: Travel fees are based on the distance from my home address. Generally, an hourly rate applies to travel time, which is quoted for during consultation.
Post Production Questions
- Q: What post production techniques are applied to all images?
- A: General post production applied to all images includes:
- Exposure correction - Vignetting, Light Falloff corrrection
- Colour correction - Vibrancy, Saturation, Split Toning, HSL, Channel Mixer, White Balance
- Selective Sharpening
- Noise Reduction
- Contrast Correction - Highlights, Shadows, Whites and Blacks
- Black & White
- A: General post production applied to all images includes:
- Q: Do you retouch your photos?
- A: I retouch all photos that you request me to include in an album or print beyond a 20" x 30". This is a complimentary service that is only available to you and your immediate family. Otherwise, since retouching must be done individually for each image, I charge individual photos to be retouched.
Product Delivery Questions
- Q: What are my options?
- A: Generally, I deliver two copies of my photos. The first copy, are for web use. These photos have a small, partly transparent watermark as seen on the bottom left hand corner of my portfolio images. They are also downsized, optimised to look great on social media. The second copy are the full resolution images, that are unwatermarked, perfect for printing.
- These two copies of each image will be delivered in one of two ways. Typically, I will deliver via a Dropbox download link. Simply, I send through a download link, that allows anyone with that link to download the images via their internet connections. This link will remain active for at least 1 month, so it's advised that you download the photos onto your computer. The second method of delivery is via a USB stick, mailed to your home address. This adds $10 to the final quoted price.
- Q: Can watermarks be removed from the web resolution photos?
- A: Most certainly. A fee applies.
- Q: Do you charge on a photo by photo basis?
- A: My best interest is to deliver the best product possible. That means prioritising quality, not always quantity. Due to the dynamic nature of a wedding day, a family photo shoot, an event etc, it is impossible to determine the amount of photos that will be delivered. It is for this reason I do not put a number on the amount of photos that will be delivered, and thus, do not charge on a photo by photo basis.
Wedding Day Questions
- Q: How many hours do you suggest to set aside for wedding day pictures?
- Getting Ready - 1.5 hours. 45 minutes with the girls, 45 minutes with the guys.
- Couples Session and Bridal Party - 1.5 hours. I usually suggest knocking these photos out of the way before the ceremony. This of course is up to you, as traditionally, the bride and the groom first see each other at the ceremony.
Family Formals and Guest Group Photos - 1 hour. Have a list of group photos you want to get out of the way? Be sure to give me a list so I can determine the time needed to take all the photos you need. Be sure to make guests aware if they are needed for the group photos so they do not leave prematurely.
Q: I have downtime between events on my wedding day. Will I be charged for that downtime?
: Yes. The fact is, there is almost never a time I will be resting during your event. During periods of downtime, I may be backing up images, putting together a slideshow to be displayed at the wedding venue, setting up at the next venue and taking venue shots or making up for lost photo time due to wedding day delays.
Image Download & Legal Questions
- Q: What rights do I have to the digital prints?
- A: You have the right to print and publish the photos from your event whenever you'd like. However, if you plan to sell or profit off the images, you must licence the image(s) from Daniel van Driel Photography.
- Q: What if I lose my images?
- A: The images can be redownloaded for $50 once the gallery has been archived.
Meeting Policy Questions
- Q: We’re very busy and won’t be able to meet. Are there any other options?
- A: Ideally, I'd love to meet with you before your wedding. If that is not possible however, we can do all communications remotely. For example, email, webcam and phone call can all be used to discuss your wedding ideas, details and services you'd like.
- Q: Do you travel to meet clients?
- A: To an extent. I make a compromise by traveling to locations that are roughly the same travel time as they are to clients.
- Q: How do I set up an appointment to meet you in person and see some of your work?
- A: Simply contact me.
Payment & Booking Questions
- Q: How do I reserve you for my date?
- A: All dates are reserved once I receive your deposit and signed contract.
- Q: If we cancel the wedding, will we receive our deposit back?
- A: Unfortunately no. Deposits are used to reserve your date. Once I've reserved your date, I cannot book new clients for your date.
- Q: If we change our wedding to a different date, will we be able to use our deposit towards a future date?
- A: Generally no, but this is taken on a case by case basis. The reason for canceling and my availability is considered.